Ratchadamnoen Nai Road, Phra Nakhon, Bangkok, 10200
Visible but not open to the public
Previously the Royal Barracks, the Ministry of Defence is housed in an imposing yellow and white building complete with a central portico and columns. It was built in 1884, during the reign of King Rama V, and is in the Neoclassical style built by, Italian architect, Joachim Grassi. There are numerous cannons in the gardens, in front of the building, one of which dates back some 400 years. The cannons used to be aimed at the Grand Palace but some people believed that they had mystical powers and could affect the country’s fate. For this reason, the Secretary of Defence had them moved to point away from it. The Ministry of Defence was initially formed to protect the borders of Thailand, to maintain the country’s freedom and to keep in line with the defensive measures of other countries.