During my time teaching Grade 4 the little munchkins came out with some comments that made me laugh, although I probably shouldn’t have found the amusing side, being a responsible teacher and all that! After a few months of teaching them and right up until I left, in September, their characters started to emerge. I thought I would share some of the things they came out with. So these are my “Quotes from the Kids” in no particular order:
1. “You’re a nerd”- On seeing me in the library for the first time wearing glasses. Don’t ya know it’s cool to be a nerd?
2. “What’s the point?”- On teaching them grammar “too” and “enough”. Er the point is to learn the grammar for you to use it.
3. “What’s your name?”- One of my favourite students, Film, got great pleasure in asking this question, and shrieked in laughter when I answered- “You know my name, think of another question.”
4. “What’s your favourite food?”- Film’s second question, still laughing at my answer. “Pizza.”
5. “What’s your favourite subject?”- Film’s third question, still laughing at my answer. “Science.” Honestly, kids are weird!
6. “He just said fuck you”- A student getting out of his seat to have his work marked, and said kid looking in horror crying: “No, no teacher I did not!”
7. Cyrus: “Do you know any volcanoes in Italy?”
Me: “Yes, Mount Vesuvius.”
Cyrus: “Yes, that’s right.” – This kid is smart. I spotted him relaxing on the grass, while his class mates were practicing a game for sports day, with one leg on top of the other knee, hands behind his head, with a piece of long grass dangling from his mouth-like something out of Tom Brown’s Schooldays. This kid will go far.
8. “Are you happy?”- Another favourite, Pern, on the way back from a school trip when I was in thinking mode, looking out of the window of the bus.
9. “Free time, yes or no?” Er no, free time is at 3.40pm when you are going home.
10. “Hello, Mrs Gills”- Cyrus again but he pronounced my name as in a gill of whiskey.
11. “Yes, very good”- On helping me with writing Thai, and getting it right.
12. “Dick” followed by “Bottom”- Complete with hand gestures to ensure that I knew where they were on his body.
13. “Teacher, can we say fuck it?”- A general question that comes from a 9 year old. I think not!