When I went travelling back in 2008 I sent emails home to keep family and friends updated about where I was and what I was up to. I kept all of the emails so I thought it would be amusing to recall some of the things I wrote and what my present self would say to my past self.
Subject: I have arrived
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2008 10:03:26 +0000
• Hello from Bangkok and I didn’t get out of bed for 17 hours– LAZY COW! You’re in THAILAND! OK blame it on the jet lag.
• My hotel is ok, it looks better on the internet, the shower is just a nozzle in the toilet, no cubicle or anything– That’s Thai bathrooms for ya.
• The best thing is the bed it is triple sized– So easily pleased (I still am!)
• What’s the weather doing over there? 29 degrees again today, the only thing is I had to cover up as went on a temple tour- OH poor you-one should cover up if one is visiting a temple!
• I have only been in Bangkok for 2 days and already I have come to the conclusion that you have to be laid back and not a worrier! (Talking about the seemingly lack of organisation when going on a tour to Ayutthaya)- It took two days?
• I went to an elephant farm and had my photo taken with one. He was on his knee and he gave me a kiss, got covered in bloody sticky slobber! – Are you talking about the elephant?
• I am gonna try and put my photos on Facebook but may have to put em on cd first!- Photographs on CDs? That’s a thing of the past.
• The heat is UNBEARABLE- have nearly died of heat exhaustion- You will visit a hot country, wont you?
• We then went to the Tiger Temple. These huge cats seem so docile and most of them were sleeping but they could take your head off with one swipe! – No shit Sherlock!
• Seriously bought too much stuff with me, will have to chuck some stuff to make room for the bloody souvenirs. Can I not buy the biggest picture I could find today?! Idiot!– Yep, you got that right- think before you act!
• Went on a canal trip this morning, it was hilarious! The guide told us what the sights were etc., but then we had to wait for some sluice gates to open, and she became a walking, talking ad for Bangkok! She went from tours to floating markets, to steamed rice, to nightly shows, back to steamed rice and shopping. It was funny, I was chuckling to myself! –You had to be there!?
• Well what can I say, I have been here just over a week and I feel like I have been here ages! I love Thailand and already into the Thai way of life. Even speaking a bit as well- It doesn’t take long to fall in love with Thailand.
• Thursday I left BKK and 3 hours later got to Hua Hin. Can I just say as well it is so cheap! The bus journey cost me 2 quid!!!! Equivalent of going from Northampton to Liverpool!– A bit more exciting though.
• We went out for dinner and he took me to a couple of bars he knows and introduces me to some people he knows- Jennifer who looks all woman but has a couple of extra dangly bits between her legs! That’ll be a lady-boy then.
• I even outran all the boys on Friday. One of the lads has already dropped out, loser!-Competitive streak anyone?
• There is something very fanciable about a Muay Thai boxer–Is that because they are half naked or because you actually admire their skills and courage?
• Went to Erewan National Park and trekked up a mountain. We went to see the 7 tiered waterfall and my god it was stunning and worth the trek to the top. You could actually get in the water behind the waterfall, amazing, never have I seen anything as stunning and wanted to cry!– It’s a waterfall!!! (But, seriously, always get a bit emotional at a good waterfall.)
• Chewy, one of the kids was training in the boxing ring and he stumbled backwards and his heel connected with my ankle! Had to fight back to tears! Cry baby- at being hurt by a teenage boy as well!
• Three weeks into boxing and still loving it have lost just over a stone and spend all day with half naked boys!– Easily pleased. Yep, thought as much (see comment above about boxers being fanciable.)
• Seriously love it in Thailand and would like to live here– You do.
• Went to the zoo all day. We got there at 8.30am and stayed there all day. We found a bench and went to sleep for couple of hours. How random! That is why I love Thailand so much!– Sleeping at the zoo, like you do! (I still love the random things that happen occasionally.)
• We only gatecrashed the Monks party and were getting free shots of whiskey and dancing with the locals. – Cheap night then? You gatecrasher! Go find your own entertainment! (ahh the randomness!)
• We got onto the vodka red bull buckets and drinking them really fast! all of a sudden felt like I was gonna pass out. Got really hot and started crying so got carried back to my room. All the way I was bawling “I don’t wanna go bed.” It was only 10.50pm! – Alcoholic! That’ll be the M150s. (The Thai version of Red Bull but about 10 times stronger.)
• Ended up having a good couple of days in Chiang Mai, didn’t think much to it though- What are you talking about? Are you crazy? Chiang Mai is beautiful.
• We were in BKK for the Songkhran festival and it was absolutely crackers, we all got wet and covered in flour! We had water guns and everything, it was manic. This went on for four days, one is enough!– How true is that?!
• I had a wicked birthday and the best present of all, not only have I three good friends here, but they have been plotting and scheming for 3 months and arranged for my mum, brother and sister to come to celebrate with me– What a very special memory.
• It is raining on Koh Tao so hopefully will still be able to dive!– You’re gonna get wet anyway right?
• I am still having a great time here, I love Thailand so much, am def coming back next year! – You did!
• Seriously was so glad to leave, can’t imagine my life as a nun! If I had to stay there another night I would have been scarred for life! –An overstatement to say the least.
• Thursday we trekked up Tam Dao Mountain. On the way down I nearly went over the edge and at one point landed on my arse head first! –Work that one out.
• Just a little note to say I have arrived ok, checked into a nice hotel, bit of comfort. NOT HAPPY it’s cold and raining and I can’t muster a smile! –Get over it already!
• Have to wear bloody shoes and coats now! God New Zealand sucks!- Didn’t you love it three days later?
• I just feel a little lost and lonely having spent the last 7 months with people– Seriously there are people in NZ!
• I have met a few good people so far and we have had fun this week–See what a difference a week makes.
• Watched someone do a bungee jump, idiot! No way would I do that!- Idiot? Tut tut each to their own.
• We went to a Maori culture show, which was good the men did the Haka, which is the war dance the All Blacks do. There were some nice men to look at, with hardly any clothes on!– FLOOZIE!!
• Answer me one thing? why oh why do I choose the night before I cross an active volcano for 8 hours, to get pissed and not get to bed til 1.30am, when I have to get up at 5.30am!- Never had much sense.
• Tonight there is a salsa party in YHA so me and Annette are going to pub, cos as far as we can see, it’s a kids party and I don’t do kids!–She says currently working as an English Instructor!
• Oh I have been travelling with a German lady called Annette. She is really nice and the same age as me but she isn’t the same age as me– Huh? Work that one out.
• How come I walk over an active volcano, up a glacier and not ache? But 5 hours on a horse and I can’t move!!!!– The laws of the universe.
• Travelled over to Dunedin. Am on my own again but I don’t mind as I have spent the last 2 weeks with people– Make up your mind!
• Forgot to tell you about the strange experience of Angora rabbit shearing, in Waitomo. This poor bunny got strapped to a rack and stripped naked of its fur, very wrong indeed, I couldn’t stop laughing! It gets sheared because otherwise it would become too hot and die! Shame!– It’s a poor rabbit!- heartless cow!
• Jasper now also thinks I am an alcoholic, he said I don’t need beer, I said neither do I but I LIKE it!– You tell him!
• Had a little cry (pissed) oh and I watched Booze Britain, and saw the drapery, in Northampton! – You need to get out more.
• Am feeling a little fed up and I am missing home and all my friends today! Still I am in New Zealand ay?!– Yes you bloody are!
• Wasn’t as good this time as only for one hour and horse knew what it was doing so I wasn’t really in control– HA, beaten by a horse.
• Then I went for a Thai meal. This is the first time I have been able to go into a Thai restaurant, without shaking and hyperventilating from withdrawal symptoms of Thailand! –What a bloody drama queen!
• I had 2 bottles in my brown paper bag that I had bought from the winery! ha ha it was quite funny but you had to be there! – Yeah you sure did!
What would you tell your past self if you had the chance?